Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Day with Ikester



I planned this big day-skating with Ikester. It failed. Huge. He freaked out and I have no idea why. Melted down in the middle of the Silverwings Ballroom and never even got to skate. It took over an hour to get there. I spent $5 for the skates but he was seriously about to pull a "Rainman" on me. (If you have watched the movie...you know what this kind of meltdown means) So we turned around and headed back to Houston. Dejected, I asked, "It is our special day....what do you want to do today?"
Sniffing and wiping away tears, he replied, "I want to eat. I'm hungry. And I want to touch a bluebonnet." (We passed about a million and one bluebonnets on the way there!)

We stopped by the Chapel Hill Cafe, ate a great lunch, laughed about silly things, climbed in the truck and set out for his bluebonnet patch. When he found it I stopped. Ike was so excited. "This is our state flower! Mrs. G. says this is our Texas state flower. Mommy, look!" He ran his small hands over the blue flowers and asked me to take pictures. (Well, I HAD the camera....I thought I was taking skating pictures-remember?)

It turned out to be a special day. Our special day. No skating but Ike went home beaming to his siblings about Mommy and Ikester day and how he got to touch bluebonnets. Every bit of gas and money spent was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment