Thursday, August 29, 2013

Heaven Conversation

"Mommy, what if I get to heaven and you're not there yet? I might be scared." This is the conversation I dreaded most about cancer.  Ike brought it up out of the blue as I tucked him in (a job usually Joe does-not me) His eyes welled up with tears.  He was serious and after an answer.

Me: You can sit with Jesus and wait for me. But waiting in heaven is not like here on earth. You might ask Jesus "Where is my mom" and I would be there in a flash. 

I kind of acted it out with mock conversation.  

He giggled but only briefly.  

Ike: "What if you can't find me there?"  

Me: The minute I get to heaven, Jesus will show me.  But you'll be so busy that you won't notice time or where I am.  

Ike:  "What will I be doing?"  Singing, dancing, playing and all to honor the King on the Throne.

Ike: "If you get there before me, just wait." 

I really tried not to cry. This came out of no where. Cass almost said the exact same thing when she was about five. I told him I would wait until he is holding my hand again.  

Ike held on to my hand for a long time.  "I love you with all my heart and kisses."

Yes, this is what motherhood really is-teaching them about Jesus and their eternal home. 

To add to this, the conversation went a little south with questions like
Are there animals in heaven?
Are there bounce houses in Heaven?
Do you think dinosaurs live there too?
How big is an angel?

No comments:

Post a Comment