Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Phone Call

I screen my phone calls.  Every day.  But a strange number has been calling our house for the last 3 nights asking for Joe and then when I say he is not available they just hang up. Today, they called and I asked “Who is speaking please?”  before I told them where he was or whatever.  It was the Breast Cancer Association and they said they were happy to talk to Joe or his “significant other”.  
Caller:  “Ma’am, we are calling on behalf of the Breast Cancer Association.  These women are suffering from..
Me:  I have breast cancer.
Caller:  I am so sorry but you know how difficult this time can be, if you could just donate some small amount…
Me:  Ma’am, one, I have no money, because we are fighting my breast cancer.  Two, I am on a no call list. 
Caller:  I appreciate your need.  But these women….
Me:  I AM THESE WOMEN……

I hung up.  I fully support the Breast Cancer Association but goodness….I am not in the position to give right now.  And DON’T tell me how these women feel!  Where are decent manners?  The MINUTE she heard the words, “I have breast cancer” that should have been a signal that the conversation was probably a done deal.

1 comment:

  1. Incredible, isn't it? Solicitor training doesn't allow them to give up until you've hung up or told them "no" three times. They just move on to the next scripted argument without even really hearing a word you say. The really sad thing is that charitable organizations and political parties are exempted from the Do Not Call lists. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete