Friday, September 21, 2012

The Biker

I was stuck at Walmart (why is it always Walmart) and a man's voice came from behind.  It was one of those Sean Connery silvery toned, deep voices...I half expected to see him standing there.  Except without the accent.  Instead it was a biker.  Older man.  He asked me how I was doing.  At first I thought he was asking because I had been arguing (politely) with customer service over the expired Visa card they sold me.  But then he clarified..."I mean, how are you doing with the cancer?"

It was a rare time I didn't bristle.  He was really being sweet.  He said his wife battled it three times.  The first time the doctors wouldn't listen when she begged for a mastectomy and as a result it came back twice.  Different story than mine but he told me it was the hardest thing he had ever walked through and could not imagine her pain or mine.  I didn't take offense to anything he said.  Clearly, he just wanted to reach out.  He saw my ring and asked how my husband was taking it.  No one ever asks about Joe.  We talked for about 15 minutes. 

I walked out to my truck feeling very blessed as I watched him drive off on his Harley.  A true gentleman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment